What better way to show your favourite equine some loooove, than making your own all-natural horse treats. Here are some recipes:
From Megan McCunn:
2 Cups Dry Oatmeal
3/4 Cup Grain
3 Cups Bran
1 Cup Molasses
1. Mix Oats, Grain and Bran together in a bucket.
2. Drizzle in Molasses while mixing with you hands (you’re looking for a consistency a little thinner than Play-Doh).
3. Place dollups (about half a handful) on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for ten minutes.
These have a tendency to burn. They never get completely hard, but they store nicely.
No Cook Snaps
4 cups of bran
4 cups of apple sauce
1. Mix the ingredients together. Batter should be doughy.
2. Roll out with rolling pin, cut shapes with cookie cutter.
3. Let the dough dry and serve.
From Cheryl Figures:
4 cups sweet feed
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 cups molasses
2 grated carrots
2 grated apples
1/2 cup flour
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Mix together all ingredients, except powdered sugar
3. Form into large balls and press flat onto greased cookie sheet
4. Bake for 20 minutes
5. Cool, then sprinkle with powdered sugar
Apple and Oat Chewies
1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup oat bran cereal or ground oatmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Oil a 9″ x 9″ square baking pan
3. Spread the batter evenly in the cake pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until firm to the touch
4. Keep unused treats in the refrigerator
Tara’s Apple Chewies
2 parts plain oats (I use Quaker)
One part organic no sugar-added apple sauce
1. Mix in bowl with small amount of flour, just enough to help hold them together.
2. Bake at 225 for an hour.
My girls LOFF them!!