"Um, Mom, why are you laying in the arena?"

“Um, Mom, why are you laying in the arena?”

So, Ms. C sometimes watches Ike gallop and buck his way around his paddock; she’s said that she hopes that he never does that while I’m in the saddle, “You are doomed if he does.” Well, she was right.

Had not been in the saddle but for a few minutes and done nothing more than walk when all hell broke loose.  Mr. D happened to see the entire event unfold.  The suspect vulture that had been sunning itself with wings extended decided to take flight.

Ike decided he was a flying boogie man and went from walk to gallop like a racehorse.  He bucked once, and I was okay.  It was a split second that you tell yourself, “Ha, that wasn’t so bad, I can stay on…” And then the second buck comes while at a full gallop, and you think, “Oh S%^t, I’m coming off and there is nothing I can do to stop it.”  I attempted a front flip with a half twist dismount. I did not stick the landing. Landed hard on my left hip. Also managed to twist my right ankle. My pride is also a bit broken.

As I was flying through the air, I still had a grip on the reins.  I somehow remembered to let go.  The reins managed to get wrapped around Ike’s leg, but luckily he stopped and stood still.  I think he was trying to figure out what happened to his rider.

Mr. D grabbed Ike, unwrapped the reins, and put him in his stall. He told me to sit still, but being the poor patient that I am, I stood up and tried walking.  With an injury on both legs, I hobbled like Frankenstein and made it as far as the mounting block.  I then heard the tractor headed to the arena.  Huh?  My chariot had arrived.  Mr. D had placed a cushion in the tractor’s bucket.  I sat down, the bucket was raised, and we headed to Ms. C’s car for the ride to the hospital (thankfully, there are no photos of my sweet ride, but it has been suggested that we do a recreation of the ride when I’m feeling better).

After 3 hours in the emergency room and multiple x-rays, I learned that all my years of drinking milk have paid off. Nothing is broken, but boy am I going to be sore. Bring on the muscle relaxers and Aleve. Cannot wait to see the bruising.

With the forecasted snow and cold temperatures, not much riding was going to happen the next few days anyways, so I guess I’ll attempt to be a good patient and rest.


BTW, the funniest moment in the hospital came when a bunch of stone dust fell out of my pants.  Oops…bet they don’t see that every day!